Friday, April 22, 2011

American Wheat + Columbus




This morning I woke at 5:00, couldn't go back to sleep and decided it was time to brew while the family slept. I put a pot of water on, turned Coltrane down low, and brewed a pot of coffee. Today I tried a second attempt at an all-grain brew. I purchased a Northern Brewer American Wheat Beer all grain kit. The kit included:
  • 4 lbs. Rahr White Wheat malt
  • 4 lbs. Rahr 2-row pale
  • 1 oz Willamette hops
  • 1 oz Cascade hops
I upgraded the yeast to a WYEAST pouch and added an extra 1 oz of columbus hops. The first time that I tried an all-grain, I used a nylon bag and it turned into a ridiculous barrier. I reconfigured my mash tun and this time the mash and sparge were so much easier and efficient. I will detail my kit in a future blog.

Here is a pic of the WYEAST fully activated and ready to pitch.
Spent grain in the mash tun (old cooler)









Here is my brew pot which is a 7 gallon turkey fry pot. It works. Something stainless steel, with valves, gauges, and gnomes that do everything for me would be awesome but not needed to get it done.

No comments:

Post a Comment